The kitchen is the heart of the home; for many buyers, the design, features, and amenities of a kitchen can make or break a home sale.
So what, exactly, are buyers looking for in their kitchens in 2021?
A recent survey from the National Association of Home Builders asked over 3000 recent or prospective homebuyers to rate how important different kitchen features were in their home purchase. Some of the top features buyers ranked as “essential” (defined as “unlikely to buy a home without this feature”) or “desirable” (defined as “seriously influenced to buy home if included”) are:
- Side-by-side double sink: 81 percent
- Walk-in pantry: 81 percent
- Table space for eating: 78 percent
- Central island: 77 percent
- Drinking water filtration: 76 percent
- Granite or natural stone countertops: 73 percent
So, what does this mean for you? If you’re thinking about selling your home (or renovating your kitchen!) knowing the kitchen features buyers want most can help you position your house in a way that appeals to potential buyers—which can help you sell faster and for a higher profit.